Braces@56

Braces@56
My dream smile

Braces@56

Welcome to my blog. I'm having braces fitted at the age of nearly 56, and I thought you might find my experiences useful, if you are thinking of doing it too.

Sunday 23 May 2010

Eating- First Twenty Four Hours


It was past lunch time yesterday when I got home with my new Inspire Ice brace on my lower teeth, so I thought I'd better have something to eat. I'd already bought a carton of fresh leek and potato soup and some orange and mango smoothie. It all went down very well, and the brace didn't hurt a bit!
Afterwards, I cleaned my teeth as prescribed. All fine. For dinner, I decided to have pasta, although my husband was tucking into a big pepperoni pizza (crust too hard for braces). I boiled some tricolore pasta and added some basil pesto, and tiny bits of chopped red pepper, and sprinkled some parmesan cheese on the top. Yum! Not really. I put just one piece of pasta in my mouth and it hurt to chew it, just like a milk tooth feels when you wiggle it too far. Ouch. I tried to find a place around my mouth where it didn't hurt and managed to eat a few pieces, urged on by my husband, 'Just swallow it!' In the end, I got out my magimix and blended it all into a glorious green pasta mash and ate it, not bothering if some of the pieces were too big to swallow. For pudding, I couldn't face any fruit, so I had a cool raspberry yoghurt. Of course, I cleaned my teeth again, and was amazed to see all the food that had got stuck round the brace.
I don't usually eat anything in the evening, but I did have a glass of red wine with my daughter and her fiance while they all tucked into spare ribs and corn on the cob, things which I'll have to wait until next July to eat again.
At bedtime, I was too tired to read all the instructions on the interdental toothbrush and the silicon brace wax you need to cover any bit that sticks into your lips, so I did the best I could and went to bed. This morning my inside bottom lip was sore where it had been rubbing.
Breakfast was easy, I just crumbled up my usual Oatibix in some soya milk. Fantastic! I usually have a vitamin C tablet each day, but instead I got tried a fizzy one, the others are too hard to bite.
The orthodontist kindly gave me a goody bag of toothbrush, interdental toothbrush, travelling tooth brush, toothpaste, silicon wax etc. I half expected a bag of toffee too, but no. So, after breakfast, I cleaned my teeth , and tried again with the interdental toothbrush. I think it's meant to go up from the gum under the brace, but round the corner at the back of my mouth, there isn't much room. But I did what I could. Then after some mouthwash, I dried the area around the bit of the brace that was rubbing and pushed on some wax, and put some Bonjela on my sore lip. Ahhh! That's better! I'm not sure how long I can leave it on for. Should I take it off when I clean my teeth? Another thing to ask about next week.
Sunday lunch menu: roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, carrots, broccoli, beans, gravy - all lovingly chopped up in the blender and placed around my plate like a colourful palate. They still needed a little chewing, and the meat and vegetables were the easiest. For pudding? Strawberries and ice cream, mashed up together. Lovely! Then off I went to clean my teeth again.

No comments:

Post a Comment