Braces@56

Braces@56
My dream smile

Braces@56

Welcome to my blog. I'm having braces fitted at the age of nearly 56, and I thought you might find my experiences useful, if you are thinking of doing it too.

Thursday 19 July 2012

Incognito Brace Off Today!! Fixed Retainer Fitted. Impressions taken for Clear Retainer.

At last my Incognito brace was taken off today! I was quite nervous because of the large gold brackets behind my teeth. How were they ever going to come off painlessly? Well, it wasn't so bad. My orthodontist polished away some of the metal which curved over my back teeth, and then with a special tool eased each one off. It was actually less painful than removing the  Inspire Ice last year, apart from the left front tooth which really hurt. He had to come back to that one at the end and the nurse put a kindly hand on my shoulder. I really needed it! The whole process took as long as Nina Simone took to sing about her new dawn, her new day and her new life, which was rather apt for me too!
  Afterwards, he polished my teeth to remove all the glue and prepared them for the fixed wire retainer that would go behind my front teeth to keep them in place. Then he carefully attached it making sure that my teeth were lined up correctly. And it was done! However, before I left, he made impressions of my top teeth and bottom teeth for the clear retainers which I will pick up next week. I've had one on the bottom for a year now and there's no problem wearing it every night, so I expect that I need a new one. It will be a bit funny having one on the top as well, a bit like false teeth!

This is the photo, taken in November 2009 on a trip to New York. I was shocked how dreadful my teeth looked, and it made me decide to have my teeth straightened.
This is what they looked like after the bottom Inspire Ice brace was fitted, showing my top teeth in all their glory, and look how wiggly the bottom wire was!
Here is the Incognito brace after it was fitted. My teeth were really higgledy-piggledy. 
Here are my top teeth today with the fixed wire retainer in a lovely even curve. Fabulous!
So here I am, with my dream smile at last!
I'll let you know how I get on with my retainers next week, and I also have to go for a check up in 6 weeks' time to make sure my fixed metal retainer is doing its job.

No comments:

Post a Comment